Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Junkin Jaunts

I have been fighting the winter blues as of late so when Wonder Hubby has even whispered about junkin I have been all over the idea.  He travels several states and is always spotting places we need to check out.   A couple of weeks ago we headed out to some of them.  Won't you tag along?
We started by heading to Franklin, Tennessee which is full of antique stores.  We were not antiquing here but were checking out a place called PD's.  It is a hidden on a side street and is only known about by word of mouth.  I had heard plenty by mouth so I was ready to see for myself.  I was so excited to snap pics of all the goodies. 

This is the outside, there is no sign anywhere with the store name, we just chanced that this was the place.

  Sadly after I took this shot outside I saw the sign that did say no photos.  Bummer.  I will say that I enjoyed the store and the pricing was not mega store but was less than Pottery Barn.  It had a PB/Restoration feel.  Apparently the inventory changes often so I will be visiting again.  I would definitely recommend stopping and checking it out if you are in the Franklin area.

Next we headed to Goodlettsville to the Rare Bird Antique Mall.  We had tons of fun here.  We spotted some Fiesta there that we ended up going back for.  I loved the general store area.  I didn't buy any old general store merchandise but there are several pieces that I can't seem to get out of my head so I am probably going to be visiting there again soon.  There is a whole area of vintage automotive.



Much of it reminded me of my great uncle's service station in Cocoa Beach Florida in the 1960's.

I so wanted this old leather bag!  And this typewriter.  I recently acquired a portable from the 1960's but this one is so cool I wanted it too!


There was a whole cabinet filled with vintage cameras.  I remember my mom talking about getting a Brownie when she was a teen.



Saw some beautiful architectural pieces including this section of ironwork from a widow's walk of a local home.


I'm a sucker for old gardening tools.


More yard art to love


I almost didn't leave without this one.


A few days later we visited Franklin, Kentucky.  It was a place Wonder Hubby had been mentioning visiting for a while but we had never managed to get there since it is a couple of hours away.  I am so glad we did.  They have a beautiful town square.




There were also some lovely homes on Main Street.  This was the best shot I had since Wonder Hubby was racing to hit the next  junkin spot.


We checked out an antique store downtown that heralded 10,000 square feet of goodies.   We wandered there for hours.  Being a relatively new blogger I still cannot make myself calm down and take photos so I have none of this stop...I hate that.  The only thing I purchased was this candlestick.  I really thought I would paint it and distress it so I never bother to take a pic before I cleaned it up....oops.  I never dreamed it would clean up and I would leave it as is but it did and here it is.


I added it to my PBish table I blogged about here,  I think it is a much better fit than the metal candle holders I first tried.  It has the weight the table needed, much more like the candle on PB table here.



It was late in the day and we were running out of time when we discovered this.


This is Brights Antique World.  The signs says 35,000 square feet of treasures but I believe it is more than that.  We spent 2 hours here and literally only scanned maybe 1/3 of this place.  We fully intend on going back for a two day stay.  It was so clean, neat, organized and just plain incredible.  I was sure the prices would be out of my junking budget but I was pleasantly surprised.   Wonder Hubby tried his best to convince me to buy the Fostoria American punch bowl, pedestal and tray I have had my eye on as well as the square Fostoria American cake plate I have been wanting but I just couldn't pull the trigger.  Ah hem...I hate to admit it but I should have listened to him.  Now I have my fingers crossed that it will still be there or that I can find more at the same prices.  As I said we were very short on time so I only snapped a couple of pics.


Wonder Hubby and I caught up with each other occasionally...we were both so amazed by this place we were running around in circles!   Hopefully you can get a sense of just how big this place is.


So sad that I only have these two overview shots but I was just too awestruck to remember to snap any!  I will simply say if you are anywhere near or within driving distance to Franklin Kentucky run don't walk to get to Bright's.  You better hurry too because I fully intend to go back and take a trailer with me.

The very next week The Nana surprised Wonder Hubby and I with some goodies she picked up for us while junking in Decherd, Tennessee.  More Fiesta, naturally.


A retired Apricot Covered Casserole, a snack plate set, a heart shaped bowl, salt and pepper shakers and some pretty amber glasses I had been looking for.  It was so thoughtful and she just made our day.


We wound up our junking streak at the Nashville Flea Market this past weekend.  Mini and Bri joined us.  It was a beautiful Saturday even if a bit cool


There were a lot fewer vendors this month but it was still fun to poke around.  I am still loving the brightly painted furniture.


 Wish I had somewhere to put this repurposed door chalkboard.


With my Rooster fetish I can't believe these didn't come home with me.


This handpainted lamp with embellished shade was adorable.  I love the chenile.


The jar is also chenile embellished and too cute.


I love going to the flea market because it is such an eceletic mix of trash and treasure.  I saw this and it brought back so many memories of going to Shoney's drive in and sitting on "the hump" in the backseat (pre seat belts you know) eating burgers and onion rings.  Anyone else remember Shoney's as a drive in?


There is also always something that makes you say, who, what and why, and this is this month's edition of the weird.


I don't think I want to know who would buy an old exam table complete with stirrups.  This candle was a close second, although it is kind of funny.


Of course we had to visit the Fiesta man and of course we didn't leave empty handed! hehehe


I have been needing these individual oval servers.


I wonder if I will ever have added enough plates...these are the newbies.


I have saved my market favorite for last.  I absolutely fell in love with this and if I could figure out what I am willing to give up in my kitchen I would so remodel just to accomodate this it.


The pictures turned out dark but it is a beautiful old industrial cart turned kitchen island.  It was so unique I wanted it bad....and have no where to put it :(  Thankfully it was sold so that probably saved Wonder Hubby $50,000 or so)   The pic below shows a closer shot of the bottom shelf and wheel.



This island was pretty cute too....but my heart belongs to the gigantic dark wood bohemeth of an island.  If it is has a twin there next month, I may just have to remodel! 

So there you have it, the culmination of 3 days of pure junkin fun.  Seeing all these wonderful things and sharing it with Wonder Hubby and the girls was great.  Getting goodies from The Nana wasn't too bad either :)   I hope you enjoyed tagging along.

5 comments:

Please take the time to leave a comment. I love getting to know my followers and getting feedback on my blog. I mean who likes to talk to themselves right?