After several months of looking at them every time I walked into the kitchen I knew I had to do something with them. Since I am prone to paint anything that stays still for very long, I
I had just completed the dot glasses I posted about here and knew I wanted to use these to go along with those. With the dotted glasses and the place mats I mentioned in the last post in mind, I did the happy dance all the way to my paint desk and got started. First I had to peel off the labels and just so you know a lot of those cans that look printed/painted are covered in a very thin printed plastic and a real pain in the patootie to remove!
After you ruin your nails and have had your patience tried you will end up with this.
Next up painting with multiple coats of paint in these oh so pretty colors. Sorry, I got too into painting and completely blew off taking a shot of them at that stage, oops!
I thought they would be perfect to use with the cans as a centerpiece. I am not sure if I like them spread between all the cans or in the center one...hmmmm....maybe the other two cans could hold candles, or utensils?
Don't you love how you see the obvious in a photo? Since the yellow can is the only can with ridges I am going to use it as the "vase" or the center can anyway....I do believe that might look a tad better than it is in these pictures.
Since I was on a painting roll and had also scored these flowers on sale while shopping at Michael's I decided to make some napkin rings to match.
First I stopped into my local hardware store for PVC pipe. I made my first napkin rings using PVC for Easter and I blogged about it here. For those I used the PVC I had here and it was 1 inch. It will work but it is a tight fit for your napkins. This time I decided to make my life easier and pick up a larger pipe. For just over a dollar I got a piece that I will be able to cut 18 rings from! I cut my rings 1 1/4 inches wide. I gave them a quick "sand" on the edges using a bench grinder.
Next, I drug out my trusty all surface paints in the same colors I have been using for everything lately and gave them all a base coat inside and out.
If you have been paying attention lately, you know what happened next......I added dots! I certainly have a thing for dots going on.
You could stop at this point and they would be cute but I had those super cheap flowers so I had to keep going. First I removed them from their stems.
Then I needed to shorten the stem that was left. It wasn't much but it was enough to make gluing the flowers on awkward. So being the genius I am I popped the plastic backing off and cut the stem off completely.
Bet you can guess what happened next. The whole thing fell apart and into about 15 pieces. What fun! Now I had to start with the back section of petals and glue each layer individually and then add the center. It works and is secure but completely unnecessary.
The best way to do this is to cut almost all the stem off. Leave just enough on so that you can hold it all together. Then using your handy dandy glue gun add a bit of glue under the center piece of the flower.
Pretty cutie patootie results from play with some PVC!
I can't wait to see this whole tablescape put together! Thanks for stopping by. I will be joining
Susan at Between Naps on the Porch for Met Monday