Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Mini Projects

While I was working on my garage cleaning and organization project I found several boxes of seashells.  Wonder Hubby had asked me no less than a dozen times over the past few years when I was going to throw them away and I would always respond with my standard "I'm going to use these in a project."  From time to time I did think why don't I throw these away but somewhere in the back of my mind I knew I would regret it if I did.  So they had been boxed and bagged and sitting around here and there for years when the whole coastal feel room was born.

It was now or never to use them.  First I rounded up I glass containers to fill with shells once filled I Wonder Hubby drilled holes in several shells that allowed me to make shell tassels.  So simple but so pretty. 



I still had tons of shells and I still had some sea glass left over from this project so I decided to try my hand at some decorative balls.



First off I did a couple of wash and dries to clean off all the sand....I know I had done this already...why can't you ever get rid of sand?

Then I picked through all the shells and sorted by size to get the ones that were the most interesting and the right size.    I used a paper mache' ball (.99 at Micheal's) as a base and hot glued on the shells.




I did the same process for the sea glass.  Below is a picture of both balls displayed on glass candlesticks for now.  I'm thinking about either frosting the glass on the candlesticks or finding some bulkier wood candlesticks to distressing.  What do ya'll think, frosted or distressed?  I think they turned out really well and were a lot of fun to make.

6 comments:

  1. That is a wonderful idea,and I fully intend to try it. I have tons of shells, and just like you I have great intentions but they end up in a vase, not really used to their best potential. I am crazy about decorative balls for some oddball reason so this is right smack up my alley!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovin' the decorated balls. Also, I can't stop eyeballing the seashell tassels!

    ReplyDelete

Please take the time to leave a comment. I love getting to know my followers and getting feedback on my blog. I mean who likes to talk to themselves right?