Friday, August 26, 2011

White Roses and Southern Hospitality

Last week my dear grandmother passed away at the age of 93.  I was so blessed to have had her in my life for so long.  Thankfully she wasn't sick for an extended time   She had a lovely funeral service and plenty of friends and family visiting with us during visitation.  After her funeral service we attended a reception at her church and were treated to first class southern hospitality in the form of funeral food.  So many of her friends, family and church family put together a first class southern style meal.  My grandmother would have certainly approved of the fried chicken, fresh green beans, wide selection of casseroles and desserts and naturally a plate of sliced fresh tomatoes.   I was feeling pretty guilty since one of my dear friends lost her father a few hours before my grandmother passed and since I was traveling 2 hours each way back and forth to my grandmothers, I was unable to be there for her.  But, I was most guilty over the fact that a good southern girl knows to always have a casserole on standby for just such a situation and I had failed to do so.  Lesson learned.  I found great comfort in knowing so many people cared and even though I hadn't thought of eating it was welcome and appreciated.



My grandmother lost her mother when she was only 3 yrs old.  Since that time when she could she placed white roses on her mother's grave. When an arrangement of beautiful white roses arrived at the funeral home they were more than perfect.  I brought them home and placed them on my mantel.   It wasn't until a couple of days later that I realized these roses had been delivered on Thursday to the funeral home, moved to the church on Saturday, transported 2 hours to my home and had been here for two days and they were not just pretty they were perfect.  So much so that I wondered if I was crazy thinking I had smelled their scent when they were silk?  So I checked to be sure...sure enough they were fresh and flawless.  Not a blemish or dark edge to be seen even days later.  They just now have begun to duck their heads yet remain perfectly white.  I would like to think they were a message from my grandmother nodding her approval and her peace.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please take the time to leave a comment. I love getting to know my followers and getting feedback on my blog. I mean who likes to talk to themselves right?